How to Make Your Own DIY Tap Handle: A Guide for Homebrewers
As a craft beer business owner, I understand the importance of having a tap handle that not only looks great but also represents your brand. However, finding the perfect tap handle can be expensive and limiting in terms of customization options. That's why I recommend making your own DIY tap handle! In this guide, I will walk you through the process of making your own tap handle, from selecting the wood to personalizing the final product.
Before you get started, gather the following materials:
- Wood block (2" x 2" x 8")
- Woodworking tools (saw, drill, sandpaper)
- Paint and brushes
- Screw and insert
- Logo or design (optional)
Steps to Make Your DIY Tap Handle
Select your wood block: Choose a block of wood that is at least 2" x 2" x 8". Sand it down to remove any rough edges and ensure a smooth finish.
Cut the wood block: Using a saw, cut the wood block to your desired shape. A classic tap handle shape is a rectangle with rounded edges, but you can get creative with the shape if you prefer.
Drill a hole: Using a drill, create a hole in the top of the tap handle where you will attach the screw and insert.
Paint the tap handle: Apply a base coat of paint to the tap handle and let it dry completely. Then, add your logo or design using a stencil or freehand.
Apply varnish: Once the paint is dry, apply a coat of varnish to protect the wood and give it a glossy finish.
Attach the screw and insert: Insert the screw into the bottom of the tap handle and attach the insert to the top.
Tips and Tricks
- Use a wood burning tool to add texture or designs to the wood before painting.
- If you don't have access to woodworking tools, consider using a pre-cut wood block or purchasing a tap handle kit.
- Experiment with different colors and finishes to find the perfect look for your tap handle.
Personalization and Design Ideas
- Use your brewery's logo or name as the design on the tap handle.
- Paint the tap handle to match the color scheme of your branding or beer labels.
- Consider using a unique wood grain pattern or stain to add texture and interest to the tap handle.
Making your own DIY tap handle is a fun and cost-effective way to customize your beer dispensing system. By following these simple steps and adding your own personal touch, you can create a tap handle that truly represents your brand and adds a unique touch to your taproom.
We hope this guide has been helpful in showing you how to make your own DIY tap handle. Remember to have fun with the process and get creative with the design. By making your own tap handle, you not only save money but also create a one-of-a-kind piece that represents your brand and sets your beer dispensing system apart from the rest. Cheers to your new DIY tap handle!